Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Second Christmas Tree, and it's not even December yet

I love the christmas tree ornament tradition that my family had. Every year we'd get a new ornament for the tree and when it was time to trim the tree we'd get to put on our own personal collection. Of course Ellen and I were a blatantly jealous of Sarah and Maren who always had more than we did. So of course, Brent and I have continued this with our girls. But this year we ran into a problem. A week after we decorated our little tree with our special collection of ornaments, including the girl's first ornaments, 3 of them were in several pieces. I know they're just decorations on a fake tree, but they're special to me. So I made a decision, keep them on the tree and get frustrated and a little unreasonable whenever the girls act just like a 3 year old and an 18 month old should, or I could take them all off, save them for a few years, and redecorate. I chose the second option. So thanks to Tai Pan Trading, yes the store is like a little piece of decorating heaven, we have our second tree of the season. All the ornaments are shatter proof and still beautiful! I love the way it turned out, and am grateful that we'll have a few more ornaments safe. At least until next year.

4 comments:

Devony said...

I love it Abbs! Good choice too! Way to be smart and still have a good time!

Allison said...

My family had the same tradition and my parent's first ornaments to us were the very sturdy durable kind to protect against toddlers! now, it is fun to look at some of the early years ornaments that were cracked and glued back together! Fun memories!

Sarah Schwartz said...

So sad, Abbs! We had to hot glue the arm back onto my 1988 teddy bear ornament today. I couldn't bear the thought of not having all my special ornaments out, so I just put the delicate ones up at the top & the touch-ables near the bottom. So far Mr. Teddy is the only casualty...but new decorations from Tia Pan is certainly tempting.

Ellen Davenport said...

I'm still upset that I never had as many ornaments as anyone else. Hey what can I say, its tradition.

And hey, mom and dad, when exactly did we stop getting ornaments each year?