Thursday, March 13, 2008

Please help!!!


Those of you who are mothers know what I mean when I say sometimes the monster-mom just comes out. A random scenario: It's raining outside, you wake up 15 minutes before you have to have your child to preschool, you throw on a hat and some mascara and run out the door with orphan-looking children. Next you hit walmart looking like someone who belongs there. Then you've got to unload groceries, make lunch to drop off to hubbie at work, pick up preschooler, make them the specific lunch they requested and which they of course won't eat, and before you know it mean-mom is here. No patience. Zip. Just a not very nice person who yells. A lot. and is fond of time out. I know that I'm not alone out there, everyone has their moments, although mine seem like they're much more often than normal. So I'm sending out this plea from one recovering monster-mom to the saner species out there: What do you honestly do to keep your cool when things get bumpy!?

8 comments:

Abby said...

I put myself in time out. :)

I'm still struggling with this. I do find that as long as I'm well rested, fed, and have exercised, I do much better. Funny how taking care of yourself first really makes it easier to care for other people. If all else fails, and I'm losing it, it really helps to just go lock myself in my room for even 2 minutes. It's amazing what it does.
That being said, I'm excited to read all the other comments you'll get. I need some major help on this one, too!

Natasha said...

When my "monster-mom" comes out, it's usually because I am stressed! Put yourself in time-out. What I do with Gavin is put on his favorite movie (which I know will make him sit still for 5 min) and I go into the other room and do something to totally take my mind off all the other stuff. . .i.e. pluck my eyebrows, or re-arrange something in the bedroom. I guess you could call it "mommy time-out" but it works for me

The Clews Crew said...

Okay, I know it's weird, but thanks for this. Seriously, this past week "monster-mom" was visiting all too frequently and I felt like the worst person on the face of the earth. So it's good to know I'm not alone. I have to say I also put myself in time-out. I know for me the sound of the shower is really relaxing so I tell Adi that mommy need a time out and lay Robby in his crib and I go in the bathroom turn the shower on and do my hair or make-up or shave my legs or something like that and come out a much nicer person. Sometimes it helps to look at scrapbooks of the kids when they were smaller and just remember how truly blessed I am to be a mom and more specifically to be their mommy.

Allison said...

wow... I have no area of expertise in this, but I do agree with Abby...whenever I get cranky in general, it is usually cause I have neglected myself first and with your pregnancy and all, you are probably allowed a few extra monster mommy kind of days! Deep breath and keep trying!

Beattie Family said...

Thanks guys for the suggestions and encouragement, i'll definitely try them out and see if i can tame the wild mommy.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Lately I turn on primary music. I pretend it is to calm Hallie but it is totally to calm ME down!! I totally had monster mom last week. Instead of being patient I just kept whining and saying "I don't know what you want!" Yeah, I was a real winner! :)

LittleFamilyJL said...

Hi there! I clicked on your blog from Alli's blog and you look very familiar to me. I'm not sure if I know you or if you just have a familiar-looking face. :) I notice that you know Abby too. (I went to high school with both Alli and Abby...) ???
Anyways, I have to say that I often feel the same, and I only have ONE child! So unfortunately, I don't have any sage advice, but am glad to know that I'm not the only Walmart-mom with an orphan-looking kid. :)

~Linda (Erickson) Reece
littlefamilyjld.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow! You sound like me! (see blog post "Frustrated") I try to remember that things will get better... (of course they might get worse first : ) and take a deep breath and a time-out (if there's time). Hello to you and Brent!