The Mommy Store
For the girls' christmas shopping this year I've combined a few ideas from various sources. One is to have a 'mommy and daddy store'. Instead of taking them to the store and battling the crowds, having to tell them that everything they pick out for Daddy is too expensive, or having them melt down because they really want a toy for themselves, they come to our room set up like a mini store.
There are a few things set up for them to choose from. For example when Laura comes to my store to buy something for Eden I'll have three things set out and the two she doesn't pick will be from mommy and daddy. I try and make a big deal out coming the store, and the girls love picking something out using their hard earned money. Which lead me to...
The other half of the store is the money part. Obviously they don't have paying jobs, and I don't really want to just give them money, so they earn it. I took some of my scrapbook paper and circle punch and made paper pennies. When Laura does her chores, like making her bed, getting dressed quickly, or getting a diaper for Ryan, she gets a circle to put in her jar. When Eden goes to the potty, or likewise helps me, she gets one too. The girls had a great time decorating their jars:
We've been earning circles all month long and the girls are still engaged and interested. Especially because the mommy store is coming around on Monday for FHE. So far Laura's purchased a present for daddy and the two of them combined their money to buy this laughy dino for Ryan. (Maren, he's a new addition to the laughy hippo and bear family).
Even after Christmas I think we're going to continue the mommy store and earn rewards for themselves. Like a new coloring book or a piece of candy or maybe even visiting the zoo. Hey it beats just giving them an allowance!
6 comments:
What a good idea! I love the paper money idea.
Great ideas! I love your creativity!
You are super mom, abs. I think I might have to steal this idea as we are having the winter behavior blues around here. Cute!
WHEN DID LAURA GET A HAIR CUT??????
I love it. I'll file that one away.
What a fun idea! You're awesome Abby! It's crazy how much Ryan looks like Laura when she was a baby!
Post a Comment