Thursday, April 10, 2008

Preschool Mayhem


This morning was a crazy preschool morning! The 3 other little girls arrived about 9:30 and we went up to our little playroom and got started; Eden hangs out with us and bebops around. So we started by singing some songs, reading a few stories, and talking about how we're all unique and special. After about 20 minutes Eden got a little bored and walked out of the room and shut the door behind her, which is typical so i didn't think much of it. But about 10 minutes later i realized i hadn't heard her for awhile. So I got the girls singing another song and went to check on her. Except that the door was locked!
The previous owners had turned the two little bedroom locks around so they could lock their kids doors, and we hadn't changed them yet. Uhoh! I yelled for Eden for a few minutes and kept the girls singing songs, trying to make sure no one panicked. Eden came back up, giggled, and tried to unlock it, but apparently it's a little trickier to twist it the opposite way to make it unlock. So I declared free time play (luckily we were in the play room) and dug through the toys to try and find something the right size to poke in the little knob hole. My first option, a pipe cleaner flower, failed. But my second, the inside inkcase of a pen, seemed more promising. Except it kept bending and wasn't quite strong enough to push in the little release lever! Faintly in the distance I hear my cell phone ringing...so I yell to Eden to go get Mommy's phone, wherever it is! She scampers away down the stairs and I can hear her jabbering, but she won't bring me my phone. Hmmm.
About this point I remember that I have my laptop, with wireless internet. Hurray for technology! I had no idea what Brent was doing at work, whether he was in his office or in a meeting but it was my best shot. My sisters and I also frequently IM but none of them were online, but maybe one of them would be soon so they could call my husband. Anyway, I sent Brent a very bold email. I think the title was: HELPPP!!! I'M SERIOUS READ THIS NOW!!!! i was just about to start using toys to try and get the pins out of the door hinges when Isabelle declares she has to go peepee. So i head back to my computer and resend the email to brent, and when it sends me back to my email a blessed rescue message was waiting from my knight in shining armor: He's on his way. He had been meetings most of the morning and had just stopped by to get a few things off his computer for his next two hour meeting. Thank you, small miracles. Ten minutes later Brent comes home to find Eden on my bed reading a book, and five happy girls cheering for our hero.
So considering we were stuck in there for about a half an hour we all stayed very calm and I'm sure I would have gotten us out of there eventually, right? But I'm glad i didn't have to resort to climbing out the two story high window, and that no one ended up with wet pants. I happily handed over the preschool materials to the next week's teacher. I hope she has a less exciting time:)

Innocent Mischief Maker

8 comments:

Stafford said...

Eden looks so the part of the 'villan" in that pic!LOL

Sarah Schwartz said...

Classic! I was rolling on the floor laughing as I read. Thanks so much for sharing!!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has panic attacks.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

Eden-- you are so funny!

Lanna said...

Too funny! I have had that happen to me several times actually and it is no picnic. I am glad that Brent came to the rescue. We love little Eden!

Natasha said...

That's the best story I've heard in a long time! Way to be creative with the pipe-cleaner flower. Good old Brent! don't you love it when they play "Knight in shining armor!"

Harper said...

Abby, that is too funny! I imagine it was frustrating at the time, but it sure makes a great story!

Your daughters are very beautiful. :)

Harper said...

Also, Lance Wickham's father passed away last week. I'll be sending a card from the MHS Class of 2000.

If you'd like to include a message, please email me.

Thanks. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Abby! I found you on the Jensen's blog. You are all looking so good! Congratulations! Boys are really fun. Brent will be in heaven, I'm sure! Check us out at jsmurrayfamily.blogspot.com