Thursday, June 5, 2008

California Reading Material

Thanks everyone who made suggestions for books I could read while I'm in Cali. Actually, I don't think I'm going to be taking any of them with me, but now I have a few months reading when I get back! I may have to ask for suggestions every couple of months. Or get that blasted book club blog going again:) Here are the books I am going to take:

'Wicked',The life and times of the wicked witch of the west
by Gregory Maguire


Brent and I are actually going to this Broadway while we're there (yes, I can sense your envy:), so we're trying to get a little bit of a head start before hand. He's actually sitting next to me reading this right now.

Heart of Texas, Vol. 1
by Debbie Macomber


Truly a modern, fluffy, romance novel. I've read a few by this author before, actually off a recommendation on Natasha's blog, and liked her style. Adult, but still only PG or PG-13. So I happened to pick up a few more of her books on my last garage sale day. This one is two books in one, and I finished the first book last night. So I'm already involved in the story, so at least I know that I'll probably like the second half!



Talk of the Town
by Lisa Wingate


Yes, this is the stellar author of Tending Roses, and this book is the fourth in her hilarious romance set. These are by far the funniest clean, modern, adult romance books I've read. I've had this on hold at the library for a few weeks and it finally came in last Monday. It hasn't been easy to let this one sit idle in my library bag.


So there, what I plan on reading while sitting on the beach, in little cafes on the boardwalk, and by the hotel pool. I'll let you know how they are!

5 comments:

Ellen Davenport said...

Hey Abb, I thought I'd let you know that I've heard that the musical Wicked is wonderful, but that the book is trashy. I'm not sure, I haven't read it, just heard rumors.

Ellen Davenport said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha said...

Heads up:
Wicked book IS trashy. . I almost hate to admit that I finished it. It is NOTHING like the musical. It's like the musical was LOOSLY based on the book!

I am SOOO excited you are going to wicked! I LOVED it!

Have a fun time at the beach! Wish I was coming too!

Beattie Family said...

I'm so glad you guys told me about the book: Brent actually just started it and said he was a little iffy about the first chapter. So at least now I can tell him to quit before he gets more involved. We'll just have to read an online synopsis!

Allison said...

I would have to echo the sentiments of the others regarding the original Wicked... They cleaned up the musical immensely from what the book was. being the original, I still read it, but I did have to skip through tons and censor the language lots as I read. Not really worth it to me... just let the musical Wow you!