Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We're back from California, and I must say we had an absolutely wonderful trip. On Sunday we took the girls to Logan where they hitchhiked with Aunt Sarah to Idaho for the week. It was hard saying goodbye, at least for me, the girls didn't even blink an eye! But for the first hour or two after they left I felt smaller, like my sphere of awareness had shrunk! But I knew they were in good hands and were going to have so much fun.

Monday morning we flew out of Salt Lake into Long Beach and after a slight rental car delay headed to Seal Beach, about 15 minutes away.


We spent the rest of the day taking a nap and visiting the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific.


It was really fun to be able to go somewhere neat like the aquarium on a date, although I had to sit down every once in awhile. The aquarium is one of the largest aquariums in the states and features lots of hands-on exhibits where you can touch the fish and rays. Other highlights were the lorakeet forest, filled with hundreds of lorakeets flying free, and the sea lions and seals playing peek-a-boo through the glass.






Tuesday Brent had training during the day, hence the business of the trip, so I spent the day going through the little boutique shops by seal beach,. I also indulged in a pedicure since it's becoming increasingly hard to bend over that far. Even though the weather was very unCalifornian, overcast and a little chilly, I still made the most of the day.

That evening we went to an Angels Baseball game in Anaheim. It was my first professional baseball game, and I wish Salt Lake had a pro team. We sat in decent seats about 30 rows up in left field. But of course I forgot my camera, so no pictures, bah. In the first few innings the Angels hit two homeruns and were doing really well, so in the 7th inning Brent and I started talking baby names. Brent had this great idea that we should name our son after the next player to hit a homerun. As if on cue, up walks the Angel's designated hitter and smacks the first pitch out of center field! Yes, our son will be known as Vladimir Beattie! At least he'll have a neat story.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Great post! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Great baby name ;)

Adrianne Miller said...

Hahahhaa. I love that. We like the name Beckett after Josh Beckett, pitcher of the Red Sox.

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

I am so glad you had a fun time in California. Your whole trip is where I grew up. My parents live in Cypress a city that borders Seal Beach. So, the Aquarium, the Angels, Long Beach, and even L.A. are all my old stomping grounds. That is still where all my family and lots of friends live. How fun for you!