Sunday, October 19, 2008

Middle of Octoberish

We had incredibly eventful week. Brent spent Sunday to Tuesday in sunny California while we were recouperating from the early snow (thankfully it melted). While he was gone the girls and I took a great roadtrip to Price, Utah and visited our friends Matt and Jamie. Jamie was my first roomate in college, and we've stayed close friends ever since. Anyway, I was quite proud of myself for taking the girls and driving 2 1/2 hrs to somewhere I've never been before. Jeez, I've never even driven farther south than salt lake! The girls were great, we had a fun visit, short but fun, and even stopped at Ikea on our way home. It's now one of my favorite stores, and I can't wait to go back. Unfortunatley I didn't take one picture! I'm totally kicking myself, but the things I'd want to rememer are: the girls playing 'I spy' in the car, Laura's actually pretty good, staying up way too late laughing with Matt and Jamie, right before we left Laura threw a rock at the neighbor's car, and of course all the great junk food we ate in the car:)

Tuesdsay night we had our ward's Visiting Teaching Conference that I was in charge of. It actually turned out wonderfully, and I wanted to share this silly vting movie that we watched. Thanks to Sarah, I think I first saw it on her blog awhile ago: http://visitingteaching.blip.tv/#804254


Thursday I had a very novel experience: I took the girls and my friend Rita and we wandered over to the grand opening of the new Deseret Industries in Layton. I don't know what I was expecting but certainly not what we found, almost two parking lots full to capacity. It was like the after-thanksgiving day sales! I kid you not, the aisles were packed. Crazy. But I admit I did find some great stuff: a brand new pair of shoes, and an aeropostale jacket and a dressup dress for Laura. Apparently for a grand opening they get all the really good stuff from the surrounding areas. Yesterday I went back and the Jazz Bear was signing autographs and a only kind of freaky clown was making balloon puppies and swords. Again, I wished I had a camera. Only in Utah.

Friday I watched my friend Ellen's two little boys. While Eden, Emerson and Ryan were asleep Laura, Warren and I had some fun: we made a kidsize spider web out of yarn. I got the idea from this great website: http://www.makeandtakes.com/ thanks Natasha for the link on your blog. The kids loved pretending to be spiders, we even threw in a few stuffed animals to be their flies. Yum.

Next we got dirty and dug up the rest of my carrots. After Warren and Laura gave them a good scrub I chopped them up for the freezer. Of course quite a few got chomped by these two.

Something stupid I did this week: stayed up until 1:00 on Friday night reading 'The Thief' by Megan Whelan Turner. This was a great young adult, fantasy book, but man was I grumpy and tired on Saturday! But I definitley recommend reading it, it's a Newbury book, and can't wait to read the next two in the series.

I sent Brent to the grocery store and he came home with this, the biggest artichoke ever. We steamed and ate it last night. I'm not much of a fan, but Brent craves them.

2 comments:

Lanna said...

I think I am more impressed that you made it through Ikea with all 3 kids alone than I am that you drove them to Price. Glad you got to go anyway. I am taking my friend from Phoenix on Friday. Should be a good time.

Ellen Davenport said...

That is eventful Abb. And fun, makes me envious. Not only did you do that all with the girls, but with a new baby Ryan, and the extra rent a boys. You impress me. I hope I can be a on-top-of-it-mom like you someday.