Thursday, July 24, 2008

Looking on the Bright Side

So there have been a few surprises that have come from being on 'restricted activity', as I'm thinking of it. One of the most influencial has been my attitude. For the last few months I've been pretty a gun-ho, do everything, have a spotless house, be on time, go to the park, set up the playdates, run the errands, cook extra big meals, type of mom. But now I can't do most of that. Well, all of that actually. Right now I'm a sit around on the couch, with plenty of time to read stories, kiss ouchies, make art projects, eat popsicles on the swing, sing songs, try to ignore my unmopped floor, type of mom. Yesterday Laura and I sat on my bed for, honestly, two hours and made our own homemade matching game on sticky notes. She'd pick the pictures and we'd draw two of each for our cards.


I hadn't realized I'd gotten so busy, and yes it's good for the girls to entertain themselves and for us to go out and do things, but I've been amazed at how well they've adjusted to our new pace. I definitely see ways that I want to change when we get back on our feet.


So here's a challenge for all of you, put yourself on 'restricted activity' for a few days. When you're not sick! No cleaning, no errands, no big meals. Paper plates, frozen pizza or spaghetti, and lots of time with your kids.


1 comment:

Lanna said...

I love the game out of sticky notes. Great idea and so great that you are such a good Mom. Sometimes it is good to slow down and re-think about priorities. Thanks for the reminder Ab.